The Department of Philology at the University of Patras was founded in 1994 and admitted its first students in 1997-1998.
- Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies
- Classics (Ancient Greek and Latin)
Programmes of Study
- Undergraduate programme of studies in Philology (BA, 4 years of study)
- Postgraduate programme of studies “Contemporary approaches to texts: readings and interpretations” leading to the following three specialisations: 1. Classics. 2. Byzantine Studies 3. Modern Greek Studies (MA, 2 years of study)
- Postgraduate Programme of Studies “Linguistics: Language and Communication” (MA, 2 years of study)
- Doctorate (PhD)
The Department’s principal aim is to promote research in its designated subject areas and provide students with qualifications and skills to meet the demands of the job market.
The Department supports interdisciplinarity across a wide range of subjects, by fostering collaborations with other Departments within the University of Patras and other Universities in Greece and abroad. In addition, it promotes communication and research collaborations with Universities in different countries through joint research projects, conferences, workshops, as well as student and Faculty mobility programmes (such as Erasmus+).
During the Department’s twenty-year history its Faculty members have directed several research and education projects, organised international conferences and summer schools and established collaborations with distinguished Universities across the globe. Many of our alumni continue their studies at well-known Universities in Europe and North America, participate in research and education programmes or teach at Universities abroad.
Postal Address: Department of Philology Administration Office, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Patras, Rio, Patras, 26504, Greece
Telephone: +30 2610-969.324, 2610-996.234, 2610-997.546, 2610-969.312
Fax: +30 2610-996.197
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 10.00-12.00
Erasmus Co-ordinator: Michael Lipka, Assoc. Professor (firstname.lastname@example.org; +30 2610 – 969.320)